Producer: Elisa Gueneau
Wine: 2018 Sancerre Blanc "La Guiberte"
Terroir: Calcareous clay soil, known as "terres blanches"
Varietal: 100% Sauvignon Blanc - no oak
Nose: Boxwood, white blossoms, peaches, elder blossom, delicate grass, and thyme
Palate: Lovely richness with balanced fruit, wonderful mineral and zippy acidity. Finish is full-bodied with great length.
Food: Apéritif or with seafood and fish. The most famous pairing is Goat cheese - Crottin de Chavignol
Cellaring: Drink now through 2022
Covering 37 acres of sloping vineyards, the Gueneau estate is located in Sury-en-Vaux, Sancerre and Chavignol. The family owned and operated domaine was passed down to Alain from his parents. Today, Alain's daughter Elisa is the winemaker and manages the property herself. The prime vineyards are planted mostly with Sauvignon Blanc with small quantities of Pinot Noir. 80% of the estate is composed of “terres blanches” or white earth. The remaining 20% is made up of “caillottes”, soil strewn with tiny stones. The vines are pruned in single Guyot style. To combat erosion on very steep plots, grass is grown between the rows of vines except for a narrow strip at their base which is worked regularly. Environmentally friendly techniques are used based on necessity and climatic conditions. Elisa produces artisan and classic wines true to the Sancerre style and terroir.